When you have a new business, you need to find as many ways as possible to promote it. Many people today focus on digital marketing on Google and Bing or on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more. This is fine but you shouldn’t overlook offline methods either. Promotional items are one of the best ways to get the word out about your business. We are often asked, what are the best promotional items for new businesses?
Even in the digital age, everyone still needs a pen. Branded pens are something people can carry around with them anywhere. You can fit a surprising amount of information on a pen including your logo, phone number and website URL. We don’t recommend that you go out handing around pens. Everybody does that and you won’t stand out much. We suggest that internal employees should use these branded pens so the new business appears professional and organized. It’s a small signal that can build a lot of trust.
Long before there was Facebook, Twitter or even email, there were business cards. They are still an indispensable promotional item that you should not overlook. There are many ways to personalize business cards if you want something that looks a little different. You can have them printed in different shapes or using different materials. For example, there are high-end business cards made with unbendable card stock. You also have unlimited flexibility when it comes to layouts, colors, fonts, and images.
Apparel and Accessories
Some of the most effective promotional items are wearables. There’s an immense value to having people walking around wearing your logo. There are numerous possibilities such as T-shirts, sweatshirts, baseball caps and uniforms. You get similar benefits from accessories such as sports bags, umbrellas, water bottles and tote bags that people carry around with them. In many cases, these items will travel with people for thousands of miles. Your initial investment in having these products made can pay dividends for many years.
Custom table covers are an item you can use to brand yourself at trade shows and other events. You might be setting up a table at a festival, street fair or farmer’s market. Rather than just using a generic tablecloth, why not have a branded cover that has your logo? A table cover is another item that can be seen by hundreds or thousands of people. This has value as a branding tactic as even people who don’t approach your table will be exposed to your business name. Table covers can be made in many different sizes and styles.
Like table covers, retractable banners are useful for calling attention to your table at trade shows, expos and other events. This type of banner is convenient for travel as you can easily open it up at the event and fold it when it’s time to go home. You can use retractable banners to promote your business or a specific product or offer. You’ll see this type of sign at book signings, CD releases and other events promoting a release. They can also showcase your latest beverage, perfume, pet food or anything else.
Sticky Notes and Scratch Pads
Promotional items don’t need to be complicated. Sticky notes are another product that’s been around for decades but are still useful and relevant. Like business cards, you can include a great deal of information on these products. If you give these to a business, they can distribute them to their employees. People use sticky notes and scratch pads are often placed in public areas in offices, which means lots of people can see them. Your logo and URL can be seen by employees throughout the day. They’re also great for schools, retail stores and homes.
Benefits of Promotional Items
Marketing with promotional items isn’t a replacement for other types of marketing but works to enhance your other efforts. Here are some of the top advantages of distributing branded products.
- Build visibility for your brand. When people walk around with your products, they’re helping to build your brand. There are definite advantages to getting publicity in the real world as well as online. For example, if people have clothing, mugs, or tote bags with your brand on them, thousands of people may see this.
- A powerful way to engage with customers. By giving away promotional products, perhaps by offering them as contest prizes or handing them out at trade shows, you are connecting with your audience and building trust and goodwill.
- Helps create customer loyalty. When people have your branded merchandise, they are constantly reminded of you. This helps to create loyal customers and repeat business.
Now let’s look at some of the best branded products to use to promote your new business. Some of these items are ones you can give away to customers and prospects. Others you can use yourself to help you stand out at events such as trade shows.
Getting the Most Out of Promotional Items
Brandable items such as pens, banners, sticky notes and apparel can help your new business gain valuable exposure. There are many ways you can use these and other promotional items.
- Choose products that are suitable for your audience. For example, if your customers are active, you might give them sports-related accessories such as gym bags or golf shirts. Try to match items with particular interests and industries.
- Give them to your employees. When they wear your branded clothing and carry around other promotional products your employees become brand ambassadors wherever they go.
- Use promotional items to brand yourself at events. Giving away branded items at trade shows and expos attract people to your table and give them something to take away.
- Offer them as giveaways on your website. You can give these items away as bonuses to people who order your products. Another option is to use them as a lead magnet to be given away when visitors sign up for your email list.
- Contest prizes. Some promotional items can be given away as prizes for online or in-person contests.
- Give them away in your store. If your business has a physical location such as a retail store, restaurant or showroom, you can give away promotional items to people who walk in.
Customized promotional items are one of the best and most economical ways to promote your new business. They are reasonable to produce and can be used for many years. They are also a fantastic way to complement your digital marketing and get your brand promoted in the real world.